Sunday, December 19, 2010

well, I'm on!




Just when you least expect it, you can get on the Web here on board. And now, I've tried to put on a photo of Tutu, but the only way I can read it, it is in script. So I hope it comes through for you all.
Desmond Tutu gave us a sermon? a talk? on the first morning at sea - a rabble rouser with a very gentle message. It was wonderful, and he is a wonderful, modest man of presence. I have a good photo of him doing his thing, and will post it when I can. In the meantime, I bought his book, A Child's Book of Bible Stories for the grandgirls, and had it signed by not only the "Arch", as he is known by the kids on board, but his daughter, and even his 4 year old grandaughter, who was sitting at the end of the line, signing with crayons! It was fun.
The trip is full of many generations, which seems to energize everyone including the "Arch." Each day brings different interactions, with different people. There is a large group of kids from Morehouse College in Atlanta, beacuase of the Arch, a large group of high schoolers from NH, SoCal, and somewhere else, a group of Elderhostelers called the RoadScholars, and random people like us, all of who seem to have some relationship to Semester at Sea. I don't know how I missed it when I was in college, but oh, I forgot, I worked at Mystic Seaport.
On Dec. 24th, Aunt Bette and I are going on a Bridge tour as we as we approach the Panama Canal. I am quite excited about that as I seem to know a great deal about the Canal, thanks to David McCullough. Other than that, when at sea, I get up in the morning and go to yoga at 7. Yoga is usually on the floor or at most sitting, as the boat does rock and roll a fair amount. Once we tried a kneeling warrior, and the boat rolled and we all went over. Sometimes I go to lectures, other times I read my McCullogh book about the Panama Canal, and other times I stare at the sea and watch the sea turtles, the flying fish, and the sun go down.
We have bypassed Acapulco, "for security reasons," so now, after a brief day in Cabo san Lucas, we are into our second continuous day at sea on our way to two days in Guatemala. I have a day on the beach there, and a day touring Antigua and Guatemalan textiles. I am excited about both.
The last time I was in Cabo, was with David Smith and his friend John Carta. Fifteen years ago, there was not a whole lot of development along the shoreline from Cabo to San Jose del Cabo; now, it is solid development, most of which was empty while we were there. The weather however, was perfect, and taking Aunt Bette on a glass-bolltom boat ride out around the Cabos, or capes, looking at the fish was great fun. Then having her try Mexican food - real cheese quesadillas, was great, too. They went down well, and stayed down!
In the evenings, at sea, we tend to sit in the piano bar and play Scrabble, which I lost at per usual, and last night, I was reintroduced to Cribbage, which I won, unless there is Team Trivia being played. That really is fun, and we are not bad at it, though we haven't won yet.
I hope the photo comes through; if it does, I will post some more photos, now that I have done it. But I'm going off to be briefed about Guatemala right now. Who knows when I'll get on next? ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment