Tuesday, December 14, 2010

San diego fog!

Surprisingly, it is foggy here in San Diego, but not half as cold as it was in Boston this morning...though this is not news. The flight was easy and pleasant and I remembered how much I always enjoy flying across this country. Today there was a lot of snow in the sky, so not much was to be seen until we were over the Grand Canyon. And then we were over Bullhead City, and I started to think of the people I know down there.
They are old friends from early CSUMB days - Tom and Alida Fitzpatrick, Hank Hendrickson. Every other year, Tom comes home to Maine, but he worked in California most of his life. Last summer, Tom and Alida came to visit for a few days and I took them sailing during the Shipyard Cup races. (see Shipyard race blog) At Cal State Monterey Bay, he was the first Chief of Police, and when I walked into a room the first day I was there, he said,"Hi, Sally Giddings of Orono, Maine, I'm Tom Fitzpatrick of Mattanawcook Academy in Lincoln, Maine." We actually overlapped in high school, though he was a big basketball dude, and I played the flute in the band at basketball games.
We became close neighbors- Maine expats on Fort Ord, now Cal State Monterey Bay, and lived in a small, tight-knit world for a few years. But I learned that day in 1995, just how small the big world is, and now, just how small it stays when you can fly across country, look down and remember all this.
(this is the new edited version!)

No comments:

Post a Comment