Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Valentine Vegetables (and One Fruit)

In the beginning of my single life, I bought a leek and found a perfectly heart-shaped gingko leaf in its middle. So I started making valentines with messages from the vegetative world. This one was, "In the middle of the strangest places, you can find your valentine."
The next year, I found an onion with its roots intact. The message here, I think, is that, "Through tangled roots and deep inside, even an onion has a heart."
These carrots caused me to become more graphic. This one is called, "Heart's Desire," for obvious reasons.
Keeping with the theme, these parsnips float for me above a Marc Chagall-like landscape, i.e wintry and Russian, like where and when they grow. But I love them, so I call this, "Parsnips a la Chagall."
"Squashkin" is an aberration, but I painted him for the friends who grew him. And squash is a simple vegetable, good to eat and easy to grow, like love.

After a silly and dangerous fling, I cut open this apple and found this perfect heart. So what I said was this, " He sliced open an apple and found my heart." But the apple turned out to be rotten.
So this year, I found this perfectly shaped shiitake in my local food coop. "Out of the mud and muck of life, a perfect shiitake can grow." Though I am thinking that the mud and muck of life resembles chocolate this year.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment