Saturday, December 29, 2012

Black and White show at River Arts

In this season of snow and darkness, the River Arts Gallery in Damariscotta has put together a remarkable show of artworks in all black and white, and gray. Some are photographs, some are sculptures, many are drawings, some are paintings or other kinds of wall art. But it is a great show, even allowing for my pleasure at their having included two of my works, which are below:
Called Big Snow, I painted this with gesso, acrylic paint and inks while the snow was blowing outside my barn windows.

Called Figure V, this was done with black oil paint and Q-tips, on yupo paper. Yupo is a new paper made from recycled plastics, kind of like white board. But if you make a drawing and don't like it, you can simply erase it all no matter what the material. But if you do like whatever you've created, you must put a spacer between the paper and the glass over it, or else it will smudge. While this drawing is far from perfect, it has some power to it, so I've left it as is, and it's in the show along with Big Snow.

In the meantime, in lieu of driving through the snow to Vermont for New Year's, I have spent the last two days painting all day! Tomorrow I will venture out into the snow, and go to Vermont with skiis, snowshoes, warm clothes, and new camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment