Sunday, August 26, 2012

real work?

I've been playing with some of the images of the summer. This one, for instance, I drew while sitting at a picnic table in Shipbuilders' Park here in EBB. Then, I took it home and have tried adding some appropriate color. I'd love to ask you who are reading this blog, 
which image do you like better?

It's been a busy summer ( I just finished canning my first batch of tomatoes) but there has been time to work on my "postcards," images which I like to do en plein air. I enjoy making these images, sitting outside and working small has a very Zen-like quality. But they don't always achieve the level of high art - hence, I call them "postcards."

This image of Fishermans Island is a different style. I've used just my Tombo pens and a watercolor brush to wash the image once it is drawn.The trouble with the Tombos is that the ink fades radically if placed in even indirect light. So these images become some of my best giclee images, which do not fade. The trouble is that people don't understand the difference here between an "original" which might fade in a month, and a giclee print which will stay intact for years. So I just continue making images, scanning them into the computer so I can print them when a giclee is wanted.

In the meantime, I try to catch the beauty boats whenever they show up in a place where I can see them. Here is Sumurun, a lovely big boat that sails each year in the Shipyard Cup, in early August, here in Boothbay Harbor. The fog was a problem this year, so I have no gorgeous photos, only this drawing of Sumurun, tied up at Hodgdon's yard here in EBB. She's a pleasure to see. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Sally--Toby J. Clarkson here. Love the site--what a talent you are! Looking forward to following you on your blog.

    Hope you enjoy the rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete