Tuesday, August 31, 2010

c'est fini almost


The outside of the barn, it is finished, except for some doors. As the final touch, Bill Dighton, the contractor, put up the ship weathervane from my father's garage/barn. My cousin, Joanne Bass O'Connor, had climbed out on the garage roof in June of 2001 to get it when I moved my family stuff out of my father's house. I will never forget that, and always be grateful. Now it has a new home and it looks very grand!
I was going to let Joanne put the ship on the top of the 'vane, but the scaffolding is very high, and Bill was not sure he wanted to let her get up there. I know she would done it happily, but it is very hot here now and she is busy on Tuesdays, so he did it for her. I know Dick, her husband, will be happy that she doesn't have to do it.
It is very hot - we are waiting to see what Hurricane Earl will do later this week. But at the moment, he is keeping the cooler weather up in Canada, and we are sweltering as we rarely do. The carpenters are slowing down now that the exterior is done, and are quite happy that they don't have to work in the direct sun. I am not eager to see them go, to finish this job, but I know they are eager to get on to the next thing. And I am eager to move in, really. The barn represents for me, a place where I can make a mess and not clean up every night...where I can make big things, big drawings, paintings, constructs, and do some design, too...I hope. The design just came to me, and though George calls it Versailles west, it will not have chickens and pigs in it...and I like it. I haven't designed anything for a long time, but now I hope I can do more because I love it. There is simply nothing like imagining a 3-D space, a form, and then watching it develop and FEELing it when it is complete. It is quite wonderful.
So thanks to Bill Dighton and his crew, for making it all come out right!

No comments:

Post a Comment