Wednesday, May 12, 2010

forget camels, it's the garden, stupid!

So I've had it with the constuction. A rock came and bombarded me while I was in the garden the other day - they're still blasting on my corner. It hit the trees near me, but not me myself, for which I am grateful. But still. It needs to be over.

So while I've been obsessing about the constuction and the blasting, I've really been working on the garden, or gardens. I am starting an asparagus bed on the upper terrace of my property, and I'm quite excited. I've never thought I really had a chance for one until now, and it is quite thrilling in an odd sort of way, to have it come to fruition at my age. I had a neighbor come and plow up some old dairy land, near the old wells, then another man came and added loam mixed with manure, and now I've been shovelling manure on the 100 asparagus crowns that I planted two days ago. It rained in between, so some of the crowns have sprouted and it is quite gratifying to see the tiny sprouts coming up already!

The pile of manure is smelly and wonderfully steaming, so I'm sure it will produce great asparagus! But since there is so much of it - two full yards of it, I have also been spreading it around the corn patch and the tomato patch and the squash, beans and cucumber patches, so there should be a whole lot of produce this summer! - which is good because there seems to be a whole lot of guests, too. The boat is already in the water but it is not ready yet for sailing, and until the gardens are done, I'm afraid my head will not be into the boat. So it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment